Together with several thousands of manuscripts forming the archive collection, the Cathedral Archives are also enriched with a specialised reference library, with books on art history, general history and Melitensia, covering the subjects mostly requested by researchers. The initiative to set up this library was taken in 1979 by the late Dr. Edward Sammut (1912-1984), first president and co-founder of the Friends of the Cathedral Museum. In the same year Dr. Sammut happened to be the president of the 211 Rotary District which comprised both Sicily and Malta. In that capacity he appealed to each of the 40 Rotary clubs of his district to collect and donate to the Cathedral Museum and Archives as many art and history books as possible, especially those published by the various banks of their region. In this way he succeeded to acquire a vast collection of books to which he added many others he himself possessed. This library came to be known as the Dr Edward Sammut memorial art library.
Years later Dr John A. Cauchi (1913-1992), former curator of Fine Arts at the National Museum of Malta and artistic adviser of the Cathedral Museum, by secret will dated 17th March 1992, donated to the Cathedral Museum and Archives his art collection as well as his rich library, which included some very important and rare monographs.