About Mdina Parish | Mdina Cathedral Museum Archives

About Mdina Parish

Mdina has a population of around 320 people with around 100 families.

The Cathedral at Mdina was the largest church for around 300 years. The Medieval Cathedral had suffered damages through an earthquake on the 11th January 1693. The rebuilding of the Cathedral was assigned to Lorenzo Cafa’ and it is dedicated to St. Paul. The Metropolitan Cathedral is the seat of the Archbishop Mgr. Charles J. Scicluna.

The Archpriest is Mgr Anthony Cassar

The Parish office is at:
No 4 St Paul’s Square, Mdina

Office hours:
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 16.00 – 17:00

Telephone Numbers:
Office: 21456620 / 77190677
Cathedral: 21454136

Email of the Archpriest: parrocca.mdina@maltadiocese.org

Holy Masses at the Cathedral


The Pastoral Parish Council plans, executes and evaluates every pastoral activity held at the Cathedral. At the same time the Council plans and discusses the situation of the parish.

The members of the Parish Pastoral Council are:

President: Fr. Mario Tong

Moderator: Mro. Joseph Galea

Secretary: Sr. Pauline Farrugia

As.nt Secretary: Baroness  Ann Apap Bologna

Members: Ms. Jessie Cassar, Mons. Vincent Deguara, Ms. Etoile Farrugia, Dr. J. Ferriggi MD , Mons. Anton Gouder,

Ms. Joanna Micallef, Mr. and Mrs. George and Edith Scerri, Mr. George Sultana, Mr. Francis Tabone, Ms. Doris Tonna.


Mr Charles Fenech, Mr Glen Micallef Gatt


Miss Ruth Sorge,  Mr. Jason Micallef, Mr. Gabriel Gauci

Other Churches

Church of Our Lady of Light

A picture of the “Madonna della Luce” was installed in the church dedicated to St. Roche after having the church of the Holy Cross demolished in 1681. Since 1393, a church dedicated to the Holy Cross existed where today we find the church of Our Lady of Light.

This very old church was first rebuilt in 1720. At present this church is kept closed.

Church of the Saviour

This church was said to be well kept and was first mentioned in 1436. At the beginning of the last century parts of the church were incorporated in private buildings. The name of the street still recalls its existence.

Church of St. Nicholas

Rebuilt in 1685, most probably by Lorenzo Cafa’.

Church of St. Peter

This church is said to have been rebuilt by Mgr Dusina during his visit. It took 30 years to have this church built again. It was then occupied by refugees during the war and needed restoration after. An altar piece was donated  to this church depicting St Peter in chains.

St. Peter’s Monastery

Run by the religious Benedictine nuns, the ancient hospital of St. Peter became the monastery  for these Benedictine nuns. It was renovated and enlarged in 1625.

Telephone: 21454355

Address: St Peter’s Monastery, Triq Villegaignon, Mdina, MDN 1193

Holy mass: 8:00 am

Victory Church

Built in 1431 this church stood on the road leading to Rabat. It was hit by bombs in the last war but the image of the Virgin Mary was not damaged and soon became the center of devotion. It was rebuilt again in 1956.

Carmelite Church of the Annunciation

Dedicated for the Virgine della Rocca the Carmelite friars had built their church and friary in Mdina next to a small church dedicated to the Vergne della Rocca. It was given to them by Bishop Balaguer on condition that one of the altars is dedicated to the Vergine. Marriages maybe celebrated in this Church.

Telephone: 21454524

Address: Carmelite Convent, Triq Villegaignon, Mdina MDN 1190

Holy Masses: Sundays and Feast Days: 5.30am, 7.00am, and 8.30am

Weekdays: 7.00am

Wednesdays: 7.00am and 5.30am

St. Agatha’s Church

This church belongs to the Seminary and it has always been looked after.